Tuesday, December 16, 2008

We are all just sticks of celery

This is an old one, so when I say something like, "the other night" it was more like a year and half ago. I originally posted it for SweetPea who wanted to know why I said that we are all just sticks of celery. Here it goes:

To begin, the other night for some reason I brought up that flamingo's are pink because they eat shrimp (I think it's shrimp) and that canary's are yellow because they eat Sunflower leaves...oh I remember why I brought it up, because at Ducky's house she had Sun flowers and the leaves were falling off. Back to the story. So I started to speculate, what if you could make sunflower petals taste like shrimp? Could you then create a yellow flamingo? Because that would be awesome! Then I started to think that flamingo's and canary's are just cool anyway because they can take on the color of their food, how many other animals are really taking on the color of what they eat? We as humans become what we eat, but do we change to the color of what we eat?

The answer is 'yes' and 'no'. We eat such a large variety of colors that it is impossible to choose just one to become. But we do change colors. There was this guy I worked with in College who for a biology course ate nothing but carrots. He checked to see what color he was everyday and after a certain amount of time he began to take on an orange tint.

It got me thinking about celery. (I know, my brain is weird) and how celery changes to the color of it's water (and carnations too!) In the end, if we were to just soak up or eat the same colored food we quite possibly could take on that color (I think it only works with none processed food). So therefore we are all just sticks of celery, not necessarily bound to the color skin that we were born, but able to take on at least the color orange.

On a similar and yet, not so similar note, I was thinking today about how if you put a lobster in a pot of boiling water they will jump right out (can lobsters jump? I think I might be thinking of a frog).

However, if you place that frog in a pot of cold water and slowly turn the heat up the frog will soon be dead in a pot of boiling water. I wonder if we are the same? We are with music. You don't get into a car and turn it on only to find the music blaring and not instinctively reach to turn it down. However, you can get in the car with no music, turn it on and slowly through out your drive turn it up, and up, and up.

Eh, that's all for now.

No comments: