Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chapter 121: Holy Hannah

So today I found out that Mr. Collins is engaged. Wow. That’s all I can say, wow. I wonder to whom. Charlotte! That’s her name, I was talking to Moxie (formerly known as Dino) and I think it was just last night when we were trying to figure out the name of Elizabeth Bennett’s friend who married Mr. Collins, I couldn’t for the life of me remember and just in this instant I have, Charlotte. So whoever this girl is her name is now Charlotte.
I guess I should have seen this coming, Mr. Collins does get married well before Elizabeth, and the comforting thing for me is that I have always struggled since naming him Mr. Collins as to who I really am in the novel. At first I assumed the position of Elizabeth, but as life went on I thought, “who am I to say I’m Elizabeth,” in fact this is what I was saying to Moxie last night, because I wanted to say, “Who’s to say I’m not Charlotte,” but at the time I couldn’t remember her name so it came out as, “Who’s to say I’m not that one chick, you know, Elizabeth’s friend who married Mr. Collins.” See how much depth is lost when you can’t remember a simple name? Anyway, the comfort comes from the fact that now I don’t have to be Charlotte, not that I was ever going to assume the role of Charlotte, but I did worry that it might be the only option. Now it’s not an option, jumping for joy, and I can’t be Jane, because Mr. Bingley has found his Jane. So I think it’s officially narrowed down to Elizabeth, Kitty, Lydia, or Mary. Hopefully not Lydia, she’s a slut, and I don’t think I would end up being like her, but quite possibly I could be Mary…that would be tragic.
I still can’t wrap my mind around the fact that Mr. Collins is engaged, and I have to admit that I feel lighter, greatly relieved that he has finally found someone who thinks that they could put up with him and his magic tricks for eternity. Part of me worries though, what if it doesn’t go through, what if he’s just saying he is but he’s not, I mean, there’s no mention of who this girl is, how are we supposed to know that she is real? Well, best of luck to him, I hope she’s real and I hope she goes through with it.

No comments: