Friday, January 18, 2008

Chapter 93: Mutiny

So, I’m pretty sure that today is Grouchy’s last day at work, but the thing is—she doesn’t know that, and I can’t say anything to her about it. Confidentially can be a witch. I was told earlier this week and along with it I was told not to say anything to her about it. I’m trying to make myself feel better by reassuring myself that the temp agency she works through is already looking for somewhere else for her, but you know, that doesn’t guarantee that Monday morning she’ll have a place to go work. She won’t even find out while she’s at work, the temp agency is supposed to call her tonight and inform her that she will not be returning. It just doesn’t seem right; she should know that she won’t be coming back. I should be allowed to say ‘goodbye’. I know that Grouchy and I aren’t best friends, but I’ve grown to like her. She messes up on a lot of things, she gets confused about a lot of things but she’s trying hard and she’s still nice to me. Earlier this week I was learning payroll stuff (this was before I knew she’d be gone by the end of the week though it should have been a clue) and I used her pencil to write something down and mentioned how I liked that pencil; I’m not a pencil fan, they make me gag but this one wrote smoothly and virtually gag-less. This morning (her last day) she brought in the same kind of pencil for me. She came over and handed it to me and for a moment I thought maybe she thought I had left one at her desk, but then she said that she remembered that I liked that pencil so she brought me one of hers from home. I thought that was really nice of her, she didn’t have to do that. I wish I could do something for her last day, but to do anything out of the ordinary would be a dead giveaway that I know what’s going to happen. I’d much rather just play dumb and pretend that boss lady never told me anything.
To top it all off Grouchy is sick, she had to leave early yesterday and Boss Lady had me follow her home in my car just to make sure she made it alright. She (Grouchy) went to the doctor yesterday afternoon and got some medication and is back. Boss Lady had taken her keys from her yesterday “just in case we need to get into the files” that are in Grouchy’s work station. I can’t help but think that Boss Lady didn’t expect Grouchy to come in today and her leaving early yesterday was a perfect opportunity for her to seize the keys without making it too obvious that Grouchy wouldn’t be coming back. I don’t know how she’ll handle it this afternoon that would be interesting to see. While Grouchy was gone yesterday they brought in another girl from the temp agency to interview. She seemed okay, but I didn’t really get to talk to her or see her much. I heard them laughing in that little conference room so she must be funny, or Boss Lady and Accounting Lady must just crack each other up.
It just doesn’t seem right the way that people treat temps.

No comments: