Saturday, October 11, 2008

Miss Manners

Let's talk about manners, mostly let's talk about "Facebook Etiquette".
Facebook is an excellent way to stalk people, I'm not going to lie, I've used it to see what my friends are up to without having to ask what they are up to. Comes in handy with that friend from long ago that you want to "keep in touch" with, but after the initial 2-3 e-mail updates you've got nothing left to say to each other. So you can at least be Facebook friends and feel like you are doing a good job by leaving a comment on a picture, saying happy birthday on the right day (not that it's hard, Facebook tells you that too), and be able to regurgitate facts about your friends to anyone who may ask. i.e. person who knew the two of you when you hung out more...or period, "How is Sarah?" you, "She's great, she's dating this guy Tim and things seem to be going well." "That's great!" When really, Facebook told you who she was dating, you can click on his name but only get the small profile box view because you've never actually met Tim because you haven't hung out with Sarah in three years. The pictures are totally cute and lovely dovey so it's your assumption things are going well.
Do you get the point? But that's not where it ends. If you have a group of friends all connected on Facebook it's the way you get the facts and the gossip without anyone kknowing how nosey you are. It could be in the person's status, they could write something on a mutual friend's wall, or today's example, someone could write on someone else's wall about a completelty different third party. Despite what you may think, if you are not trying to get the attention of the third party in a joking manner, you may not write about that person on someone else's wall.
Why you may ask...do you even log on to Facebook? It shows what your friends are saying to each other, "So and so wrote on what's her face's wall" proceeded by the first few lines of the message, with the option to click and read the rest, or click and read wall-to-wall so that if they are having an actual conversation you can see the whole thing go down. My point here is, if you have something to say about someone else's business to anyone, including the person who's business it is, you send a message (they're private, no one has to know about them). If you have e-mail addresses and phone numbers then maybe that's a better way to communicate about someone's personal information. I say this because this morning I received an e-mail notifying me that someone wrote on my wall, I won't name who because I am not bad mouthing, I am trying to educate manners in an ever changing world. No one has set down rules of etiquette for this type of thing yet. This person wrote on my wall, personal information about another person. I don't know if third person cares for people to know their personal information, but I'm not going to stand for being part of the experiment on whether or not they do. It's not my business, nor is it the business of the person who was writing it. So I deleted the comment, and haven't written back yet, but when I do it will be in message form, because two things: First, it's still not my business, and secondly: I don't think people need to read her being put in her place, I'm sure some people will enjoy it, but this is me still striving to be better.

No comments: