Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Chapter 79: My Day At Work

This morning I looked over Ducky’s resume and made a few suggestions, I rescheduled some people for a mandatory class that they missed yesterday, and again today. Hopefully not tomorrow since it’s the last day for the classes. I also ordered books for people, talked to Potty Mouth at the front desk and went on two breaks with Grouchy. I don’t mind going on “breaks” with Grouchy except for the fact that when she is smoking I manage to find myself a good position where the smoke won’t come blowing on me and making me smell bad and then she moves! And when she moves the smoke comes in clouds at me. I don’t even know how this started, when did we become friends? I can’t remember. I’m not saying that I mind Grouchy, considering her natural disposition things could be worse, I should just be happy that she likes me, but part of me hopes that the new person they hire for that position doesn’t smoke.
I’ve been to every floor but the fourth today (and I took the stairs every time) and that’s probably because I’ve never been to the fourth floor. I’ve gone upstairs to see Bubbles countless time, each time I had an excuse, which surprised me, but the thing about excuses, they usually don’t give you a good enough reason to be standing around talking. I’ve scanned things, signed people up for life insurance, went to visit IT Guy and get him to tell me his salary (I love my position in the company I get to find out what everyone makes).
Finally it was time for lunch. On my break I went home and tried to clean up a little, I don’t know how much it helped but I got most of my clothes put away and washed another load…it really is a never ending job.
After lunch I cleaned my desk space, I had been walking around earlier with Potty Mouth and noticed how other people had their desks set up and mine was by all accounts filthy. So I straightened things and threw things away and rearranged a little bit and now it looks almost good enough to compete in the clean cubicle contest. I wrote down my thoughts about office politics which took a good 20 minutes. I talked to Book Order and she has an intense personality, reminds me a lot of an old roommate who I don’t believe ever had a nickname here. Got things squared away with her and then I tried for 10 minutes to get on the health insurance website so that I could look at my fitness account, but it didn’t seem to recognize the user id that it gave me yesterday! So I gave up on that and then I spent a good hour researching the history of paper clips. Very interesting stuff. Sometimes I wish that I could just leave for the day, walk out to my car an hour early because chances are no one will even notice if I do. But I know that the day I finally decide to do that will be the day that someone comes looking for me in the last two hours of work. I just spent 10 minutes not helping Grouchy do something. I kind of just stood their and took away from her oxygen supply. I have thirty-five minutes remaining and I need to find something to read or research. I have Friday off this week and just can’t wait until tomorrow is over so I can start a long weekend.

No comments: