Friday, February 06, 2009

Wrong Side of the Bed

You know when you wake up on the "wrong side of the bed" and everything seems to be going wrong from the get-go? I thought today was going to be fine, it started out okay, with the exception of waking up at 7:50 (work starts at 8:30). The morning seemed to be going well, or you know, at least all right. Pup had a blond moment in the backyard this morning (one where he doesn't move for several minutes he just looks at me, but even though he seems mentally incapable I still can't let my guard down because the moment I move in on him he'll run for the exit). Even with that I still felt like it would be okay, it's Friday, how can a Friday not be good?

...When it feels like a Monday that's how. Or when you have a boss (bless her heart) who forgets that she didn't tell you everything, because despite the amount of words she repeated when she was asking you to do something she didn't say that little bit that she's going to get upset with you for not doing...even though you didn't know to do it. And it's not like you can tell your boss off and say, "Look, you didn't tell me that part." Instead you have to say, "I don't remember that I'm sorry." I do remember that not being said but how can I tell you that?

The whole story being that yesterday she wanted me to talk to maintenance about lighting zones...which on its own kind of ticked me off. She wanted me to contact them and see what we could do for accounting and their light sensors (we have lights that turn off after long periods of inactivity). The reason it ticks me off is that about a week ago I presented to her a similar problem for a woman downstairs. I told her that she had called me stating that she works late a lot of evenings and the lights go off on her, she has to walk all the way around to the sensor, and then get back to work. It's annoying (I haven't had it happen to me but it sure does sound annoying when you are trying to work right?) Well Boss Lady informed me that there was nothing we could do for her. So to go into her office yesterday and be told to contact maintenance about doing something for accounting because they have the same problem bothered me. I wanted to ask her about this woman, but didn't.

So I contacted them and this morning after I ran up 8 flights of stairs one of the maintenance men was standing at the receptionist counter. So out of breath I try to talk to him and I walk him down the hall to Accounting. There are two sensors on either side of the accounting work stations. Maintenance Man said that he would extend the length of time the lights were on and we talked to the Accounting Man about the lights for a few minutes. Then we turned to leave. I stopped off at my desk, I heard Boss Lady say 'hello' to Maintenance Man and then she came over to my desk. I tell her what we had been talking about and then she said, "But he was supposed to come talk to me about that, remember I told you to tell them to come up and talk to me." Uh....no you didn't, and here's how I know that it's not to be blamed on my faulty memory. Because if you had told me that you wanted them to come talk to you I would have told them to do that. As much as I think the maintenance guys are nice and all, it's not my favorite thing to have to talk to anyone about business. So if you had wanted to talk about it to them I would have been more than happy to pass it off.

So she gives me this deer in headlights look for a bit because when she asked if I remembered I tried to pull off a sincere, "Oh I don't," rather than a, "Do you remember?" and then I say, "Well he might still be at the elevator. So instead of rushing off to it she gets in the way of me rushing off and we miss the guy. I tell her I can have him come back up and she says she'll talk to Accounting Man first, then she ends up going to find Maintenance Man by herself. She succeeds and I hope that's the end of it for me because really, I'm not in the mood for it today and it's only 9:15 in the morning.

No comments: