Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Snow Days

Yesterday was a snow day. I didn't think I would ever get one as an adult, but yet there I was. I lived in Idaho for a good four years and survived every winter. I bundled up and walked to class, I drove to the store when necessary, I slipped and fell and laughed at myself countless times. But I have grown soft, and a powdering of snow left me incapacitated. I didn't feel like anything was important enough to venture out into the snow for. I bundled up and forced my dog to go outside to go to the bathroom, but I didn't once set foot in the snow (except for what was built up on the patio, which was a good amount). I didn't want to get snow in between my socks and my shoes, I didn't want the bottoms of my jeans to soak through. I think it was because I knew I wouldn't be able to warm up fast enough in our 60 degree house and with my ever fading heater.

So I was holed up at the house, not a problem at all. I was dressed, I did laundry, I emptied the dishwasher and loaded it, I made cookies, I worked on my story, I talked to Ducky on the phone, I watched Pushing Daisies, I did so, so much of nothingness yesterday and I can't say I hated it. Well, I did begin to hate it around 5 o'clock but my body treats extreme boredom like it treats extreme pain and soon I was knocked unconscious. I woke up and it was dark in my room and I freaked, I didn't know what time it was, what day it was, or anything (this is the reason I don't take naps). The sad part was, the nap was no more than 45 minutes...but it recharged me for another round of nothing.

That's not why I am writing though. The reason I am writing is because I wasn't stuck in the house alone. P.R. and SFHB were also there. Not a problem at first, but time with SFHB quickly becomes one. I really like P.R. I love talking to her and I feel like I can tell her anything, and I do tell her a lot...the only problem is SFHB has super sensitive hearing. So many times when I am telling a story to P.R., SFHB comes down the stairs and says, "What was that?" as though I had been directing my statement to her, when I had not been. I think P.R. realizes that this is a possible issue (and may even be one that bugs her as well) because she never rats me out when instead of repeating what I have said I look at SFHB and say, "Your mom" or some other remark to deter her.

Yesterday however I was on Facebook and I got a text from Ducky asking if I had a moment to chat. She didn't know we had snow and the state closed down...so I called her and she said something funny right off the bat so I was laughing and I hear the little "popping" sound that indicates that someone has IMed me on Facebook, and I look over and it's SFHB and she says, "What are you laughing at?" I wanted to say, "Your mom." but felt I had been over using that one lately, so I ignored her for a while and then just said, "I'm on the phone." Then Ducky was talking about the ghost tour she went on and it was freaking me out so I told her I was going to throw up and SFHB IMed me again and said, "Don't throw up." I wrote back that she was creeping me out and she had to stop. So from that point on I started to talk quieter, and at one point I got up and moved so that I would be in the part of my room that is below Moxie's room. I don't like that she can hear everything so well down in my room and I can't wait until she moves. It was a conversation between my B.F.F. and I and I don't think she should have been listening. If she can hear it then she either ignores it or she turns on the music or the TV. If she had those things on she wouldn't be able to hear me. It just bothered me.

She's lucky I didn't go all "The Shining" on her and whip out my ax...or even a shovel would have done. Unfortunately, as I realized yesterday, we don't seem to own any of these important tools...I'll do my best to rectify that situation before the next snow storm.

No comments: